Course Objectives / Competencies:At the end of the post graduate training in MPH Epidemiology the trainee shall be able to:
- Recognize the importance of Epidemiology in the context of the health needs of the community and national priorities in the health sector.
- Practice Epidemiology in accordance with principles of human subject protection.
- Demonstrate sufficient understanding of the basic sciences relevant to Public Health.
- Analyse and explain the inter – relationships of environmental, social, cultural, occupational and political factors and systems on health and health care.
- Apply descriptive and inferential methodologies and interpret results of statistical analyses of epidemiological studies and data from health information systems.
- Comprehend and apply epidemiological principles and statistical techniques to disease causation and conduct situational analysis of priority health problems;
- Carry out epidemiological investigations – collect, analyse, interpret and use data for decision making.
- Plan , implement and evaluate public health surveillance systems;
- Investigate and plan an appropriate response to incidents that could adversely affect public health, such as environmental hazards and disease out breaks;
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate public health programmes and differentiate among goals, measurable objectives, related activities, and expected outcomes for a public health program.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral skills for communicating with different audiences in the context of professional public health activities
- Develop skills as a self-directed learner, recognize continuing educational needs and select & use appropriate learning resources.
- Practice educational methods and techniques as applicable to the teaching of medical/nursing students, general physicians and public health workers.
- Provide advocacy and leadership for public health policies and programmes and develop strategies to motivate others for collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
Three year full time Post-graduate Degree, Permitted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt. of India, Vide letter No.U.12012/56/2015- ME-I, Dated. 26.02.2016.
M.B.B.S. Qualified including one year continuous rotating internship training in any Medical College recognized by MCI.
Seven (7): 3 seats allotted for State Quota and 4 seats allotted for Central Quota (for the academic year 2016-17; Reservation for SC, ST & OBC applicable as per rule)
The seats are divided into two parts, All India Quota and the State (West Bengal) Quota. Selection for the All India Quota/Seats is made on the basis of merit determined by a centralized entrance test held at the national level. For the State Quota a separate entrance test is conducted by West Bengal University of Health Sciences, as per guidelines of MCI.