Course Objectives / Competencies:
At the end of the post graduate training in MPH Epidemiology the trainee shall be able to:
- Recognize the importance of Epidemiology in the context of the health needs of the community and national priorities in the health sector.
- Practice Epidemiology in accordance with principles of human subject protection.
- Demonstrate sufficient understanding of the basic sciences relevant to Public Health.
- Analyse and explain the inter – relationships of environmental, social, cultural, occupational and political factors and systems on health and health care.
- Apply descriptive and inferential methodologies and interpret results of statistical analyses of epidemiological studies and data from health information systems.
- Comprehend and apply epidemiological principles and statistical techniques to disease causation and conduct situational analysis of priority health problems;
- Carry out epidemiological investigations – collect, analyse, interpret and use data for decision making.
- Plan , implement and evaluate public health surveillance systems;
- Investigate and plan an appropriate response to incidents that could adversely affect public health, such as environmental hazards and disease out breaks;
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate public health programmes and differentiate among goals, measurable objectives, related activities, and expected outcomes for a public health program.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral skills for communicating with different audiences in the context of professional public health activities
- Develop skills as a self-directed learner, recognize continuing educational needs and select & use appropriate learning resources.
- Practice educational methods and techniques as applicable to the teaching of medical/nursing students, general physicians and public health workers.
- Provide advocacy and leadership for public health policies and programmes and develop strategies to motivate others for collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
Three year full time Post-graduate Degree, Permitted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt. of India, Vide letter No.U.12012/56/2015- ME-I, Dated. 26.02.2016.
M.B.B.S. Qualified including one year continuous rotating internship training in any Medical College recognized by MCI.
Seven (7): 3 seats allotted for State Quota and 4 seats allotted for Central Quota (for the academic year 2016-17; Reservation for SC, ST & OBC applicable as per rule)
The seats are divided into two parts, All India Quota and the State (West Bengal) Quota. Selection for the All India Quota/Seats is made on the basis of merit determined by a centralized entrance test held at the national level. For the State Quota a separate entrance test is conducted by West Bengal University of Health Sciences, as per guidelines of MCI.
The West Bengal University of Health Sciences has given Consent of affiliation (Ref. Letter No. OG/WBUHS/2015-2016/1249 Dt. 08.03.2016.