Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition of All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health is the first ever department in India to start Diploma in Dietetics course in 1950. M. Sc (Applied Nutrition) course was started in the year 2009 by this department. The Department of Bio-Chemistry and Nutrition is concerned with basic and applied teaching, and research in the science of nutrition and dietetics. Training is oriented towards the nutrition components of health problems at all levels, viz. individual, family, community, particularly relevant to India. These include identification of the nutritional needs of a community by assessment of nutritional problems and initiating appropriate intervention by mobilization of resources to deal with these problems.
2. Teaching Activities:
Master in Science (Applied Nutrition)
Degree (Post Graduate);
Two Year (Full Time)
The West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS).
Intake capacity: 20
To develop trained manpower in the field of nutrition, food science and dietetics. Students after the completion of the course will be qualified to work in the hospitals and health care establishments, academic institutions, research institutions, industries, NGOs etc.
B.Sc. (Honours) in Food and Nutrition/ Dietetics / Food Science/ Biochemistry/ Physiology /Food Technology or B.Sc. in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics with at least 50% marks from any recognized college under recognized University.
Diploma in Dietetics
Diploma (Post Graduate);
One Year (Full Time)
Affiliation / Recognition:
The West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS).
Intake Capacity: 31
To generate trained Nutritionists and Dietitians who will work in Hospitals, Nursing homes, Clinics, Government programs, fitness centres or any other health facilities and also in organizations where Nutrition and/or Dietetics related works including diet planning, nutritional assessment etc. are conducted or consultant dietitian/nutritionist.
Bachelor degree with either Physiology , Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics; Food and Nutrition; Nursing or MBBS, BHMS.
Through Admission Test conducted by the AIIH&PH every year. Information available on the Institute website i.e. www.aiihph.gov.in
3. Short Courses/Training Courses Conducted:
- Training Programme for Laboratory Technicians of IDD Monitoring Labs for the North Eastern States, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Orissa & West Bengal, sponsored by Min. of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, 2009.
- Training programme on “Micro-nutrient deficiency” for Medical officers, 2009.
- Conducted a short training program for School teachers from different districts of West Bengal on “Techniques of Assessment of Nutritional status” in 2012.
4. Research Activities:
On-going research for PhD:
- A study on the role of nutrition, socio-economic status and intelligence level on the academic achievement of primary school children.
- An epidemiological study on metabolic syndrome among college students of Kolkata.
- A study on the nutritional risk assessment of elderly women residing in the old age homes of Kolkata.
- An epidemiological study on metabolic syndrome among post-menopausal women in a rural area of West Bengal.
- Services provided: Nutrition awareness program was conducted at Boinchipota village in field area of RHU&TC, Singur in April 2013.
5. Publications in the Indexed Journal (Last 5 years):
- Mondrita Majumder, Indranil Saha, Debnath Chaudhuri: Assessment of nutritional risk among community dwelling elderly persons (65-75 years) in Kolkata, India: J NutrGerontolGeriatr. 33, 126-134, 2014.
- Chandrashekhar Shivaji Taklikar, Mangesh Balu Nanaware: Epidemiological characteristics of H1N1 positive deaths: A study from tertiary care hospital in western India ;Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2013; 2(2): 305-308.
- Bidisha Maity, Debnath Chaudhuri, Minati Sen: A study on the assessment of nutritional status of elderly women residing in old age homes of Kolkata: The 20th World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics. The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Ageing: Vol. 17, Supplement, Abst no. pp 26 B-060. Page S760, 2013
- Maity B, Sen M, Saha I and Chaudhuri D.: Risk for malnutrition among elderly women belong to old age homes of Kolkata, India and its relationship with depression. Institute of Science and Technology (IST) Journal on Business & Technology: 5, 147-149, 2012.
- Paul (Das) T, Sen M, Saha I and Chaudhuri D. Facets of emergent pandemic of 21st century-obesity, a life sentence to non-communicable diseases. Institute of Science and Technology (IST) Journal on Business & Technology: 5, 135-139, 2012.
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on “100 years for the Hypothesis of Vitamin Deficiency Diseases“ was organized by Dept. of Food and Nutrition Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis Mahavidalaya in collaboration with the Dept. of Biochemistry and Nutrition Department, AIIH & PH at Kolkata, September 25-26, 2013.
- Dr. V. Verma, Dr. Asim Sarkar and Dr. Majumdar held a scientific session on Rickets, Osteomalacia and Osteoporosis, 3rd April 2013.
7. Other Recent Achievements of the Department
- Prof. Asim Duttaroy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway, delivered lecture on DHA.
- Prof. Asim Duttaroy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway delivered lecture on Lycopene.
- Dr. Madhavan Nair, Scientist, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, delivered lecture on Micronutrients.
- Modernization of all the seven laboratories with installation of modular furniture and equipment.
- Laboratory for Urinary Iodine Excretion (UIE) started functioning.
- Opening of departmental library with reading facilities for 30 students at a time.
- Recipient of National Research Scholarships viz. ICMR-JRF (1), DST-INSPIRE (1), UGC-NET-JRF (1) by the Ex-student.
- Three students qualified in the UGC-NET-LS (lectureship).
- M.Sc (Applied Nutrition) emerged as a high demand course with 100% admission every year.
- Revision of M.Sc (Applied Nutrition) syllabus.
- Up-gradation of the quality of need based research in Public Health Nutrition.
- Dr. Ravindra Goswami, Professor, Dept. of Endocrinology, AIIMS, New Delhi delivered lecture on topic “Vitamin -D”, 27th September, 2013.
- Dr. Asim Duttaroy delivered lecture on Role of DHA in Fetus- Placental development.
- Dr. Nandini Ghosh Chowdhury delivered lecture on “Role of fish oil in control of breast-cancer growth” Feb 2014.
- Dr. Sanjay Mishra delivered a lecture on “Awareness of Thalassemia” in Feb 2014
Subject/Area of expertise
|Dr. R. R. Pati||
Director-Professor and Head of the Department
|Health Promotion, Health Education, Public Health Administration, Occupational Health.|
|Dr. Snigdha Basu||Medical Officer||MBBS, DMCW||Public Health|
|Mr. B. K. Roy||Demonstrator||M.Sc. (Physiology)||Community Nutrition, Nutritional Assessment & Surveys|
|Mrs. A. Bandyopadhyay||
|Dietetics, Clinical Nutrition|