1. As a premier academic institute, AIIH & PH regularly undertakes many research activities in the field of Public Health. The Institute places utmost value to Human Ethics, all the Public health Research proposals of the Institute involving human subjects are examined and reviewed by duly constituted Institutional Ethics Committee of the Institute. The present “Ethics Committee, All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Kolkata” (IEC, AIIH & PH, Kolkata) has been reconstituted in December 2012 and is holding regular meetings every year to review the research proposals submitted for ethical clearance. The IEC, AIIH&PH has been formed in accordance with the terms of reference of ICMR, New Delhi and follows the Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Participants designed by ICMR, New Delhi. Initiatives have also been taken to get it registered with the Central Drug Control Organization, DGHS, Ministry of H & FW, GOI.
2. The present Ethics Committee of A.I.I.H. & P.H, Kolkata is comprised of nine members representing various sections of the community like Doctors, Academicians, Scientist, Public Health Specialist, Social Scientist, NGO workers, Minority representatives, Lawyer, Statisticians etc. Till now, the new Institutional Ethics committee has examined and cleared more than 60 research proposals of the Institute.
The Composition of the Committee
Dr. Krishnangsu Roy, Director, State Institute of Health & Family Welfare, Swastha Bhawan, Kolkata.
Prof. A. K. Mallick, Department of Public Health Administration, A.I.I.H. & P.H., Kolkata
- Dr. Dipika Sur, Dy. Director , National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases (NICED), Kolkata.
- Prof. Sudeshna Basu Mukharjee, HOD, Dept. of Sociology, Calcutta University, Kolkata.
- Prof. Rezaul Karim, Dept. of Radiotherapy, CMSDH, Kolkata.
- Dr. Saibendu Lahiry, Prof. & Head, Dept. of Community Medicine, R. G. Kar Medical College, Kolkata.
- Dr. Amit Sarkar, Secretary, Oncolink (NGO), Kolkata.
- Mr. A. K. M. Abdus Sadek, Senior Lecturer, Surendra Nath Law College, 24/2, M.G. Road, Kolkata.
- Mr. S. Hazra, Demonstrator (Statistician), Dept. of Epidemiology, A.I.I.H.&.P.H, Kolkata.