1. As a premier academic institute, AIIH & PH regularly undertakes many research activities in the field of Public Health. The Institute places utmost value to Human Ethics, all the Public health Research proposals of the Institute involving human subjects are examined and reviewed by duly constituted Institutional Ethics Committee of the Institute. The present “Ethics Committee, All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Kolkata” (IEC, AIIH & PH, Kolkata) has been reconstituted in December 2012 and is holding regular meetings every year to review the research proposals submitted for ethical clearance. The IEC, AIIH&PH has been formed in accordance with the terms of reference of ICMR, New Delhi and follows the Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Participants designed by ICMR, New Delhi. Initiatives have also been taken to get it registered with the Central Drug Control Organization, DGHS, Ministry of H & FW, GOI.
2. The present Ethics Committee of A.I.I.H. & P.H, Kolkata is comprised of ten members representing various sections of the community like Doctors, Academicians, Scientist, Public Health Specialist, Social Scientist, NGO workers, Minority representatives, Lawyer, Statisticians etc. Till now, the new Institutional Ethics committee has examined and cleared more than 60 research proposals of the Institute.
The Composition of the Committee
Dr. Saibendu Lahiri, Professor & Head, Department of Community Medicine, R. G. Kar Medical College, Kolkata.
Dr. Ashok Kumar Mallick, Director Professor, Department of Maternal & Child Health, A.I.I.H. & P.H., Kolkata
- Dr. R. N. Sinha, Director Professor, MCH, AIIHPH, Kolkata.
- Prof. Sudeshna Basu Mukharjee, HOD, Dept. of Sociology, Calcutta University, Kolkata.
- Dr. Bobby Paul, Assistant Professor, PSM, AIIHPH, Kolkata.
- Dr. Amit Sarkar, Secretary, Oncolink (NGO), Kolkata.
- Mr. A. K. M. Abdus Sadek, Senior Lecturer, Surendra Nath Law College, 24/2, M.G. Road, Kolkata.
- Mr. S. Hazra, Demonstrator (Statistician), Dept. of Epidemiology, A.I.I.H.&.P.H, Kolkata.
- Mrs. Uma Chatterjee, Sister Tutor, PHN, AIIHPH, Kolkata.
- Sh. Bechu Ram Mandal, Community Representative.